I thought I’d start writing this post now. I don’t know how it’s going to turn out, so please do bear with me.
2010 sucked. And actually not just for me. My nan had three relations and one friend die this year, a taxi driver in Plymouth had ten family deaths… However, after several blog posts of sadness, worry, guilt, just to name a few of the millions of emotions I have felt this year, I have decided that 2011 will probably be my year. Reasons for this whole optimism? No one can possibly have two bad years in a row, right?
On reflection, I don’t actually think there was a glimmer of goodness in 2010. Full of insane rows with boyfriend, putting on more weight that I vowed to lose, sucky job, good job turning into sucky job… And of course, the obvious. The two lines that I have imprinted in my brain after this year are from Baz Luhrmann’s “Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen)” and they go like this:
“Get to know your parents, you never know when they’ll be gone for good.
Be nice to your siblings; they are the best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.”
Family is extremely important, particularly when you have a shitty year. They are the people you can depend on, even though sometimes you feel you can’t turn to them for whatever reason. My family are quite lucky, in that my parents were still together, I get on well with my brother. Other families are not really like that. One family that I can think of is completely split in half, arguing, always out there to prove a point to the other half. I’ve spoken to two children involved in this divide, just general chit chat and both have emphasised that they’re not talking to the other half, even when I didn’t ask (and I don’t really care, because it’s not my business and I’ve never really been a gossiper). In fact, both think that I’ve “forgotten where I’ve come from” because I don’t care about their gossip.
Anyways, those are the lines that are going to (semi) guide my new and fresh year and so time for a fresh and the start of my new years resolutions.
1. LOSE THE WEIGHT. God damnit, you can bloody do it, Franno! Just lose the sodding weight and get skinny. I need to lose about 4 stone to get back to my ideal weight. I shall have to put a picture on here of me, when I was on holiday as a mere 18 year old with the physique that I want again… In fact…
LOOK AT THAT! Although perhaps slightly chavtastic, but I was on holiday, thus it was hot and that is why you wear a cap. To hide the sun from your face. Also, I was swimming like, five times a week. Now I have a job. It’s just an inconvenience. Anyways. Back to losing weight. I think skinny me will make a more confident me. Oh yes, it will. It’s not as if I want tonnes of male attention, because I adore my boyfriend. But some to get him jealous would be nice. And on that note…
2. BE NICER TO YOUR BOYFRIEND. I have been difficult this year. I haven’t meant to be. I didn’t even know I was being difficult at the time. But I was and that’s not really who I was when I met him. Poor guy, he must think I’ve got multiple personalities. He’s not quite family yet, but he might as well be. He went through a lot with me this year and it’s not that I don’t appreciate him enough; it’s more I was concentrating on everyone else.
(Note to boyfriend: Don’t take this as a get out of jail free card and please don’t go on about number one resolution too much. If you do, I go back into my childlike state and just don’t do the things you tell me to do and ultimately eat more. I’m going to try, promise.)
3. DON’T DRINK SO MUCH. I didn’t realise I was until the other day. And I’m starting to forget about the night before due to excessive alcohol consumption. Of course I won’t cut out drinking all together, but only drink on ‘special occasions’, i.e. V festival, gigs… I can have fun without alcohol! And I will prove it. Plus, this also coincides with number one, because less alcohol might mean losing more weight. Maybe.
4. TAKE MORE PHOTOS. I would bloody love to know what I actually did last year… I have a terrible memory (even without alcohol!) and can’t remember much of anything. This, of course, is not helped by the fact that I don’t take enough photos of anything. I think, the only time I’ve taken photos this year are the following:
a) new hair cut
c) when Mum first bought the puppies
That’s about it. I haven’t taken any of the snow. Any of any other nights out that I’ve had. And I always have my sodding camera on me, so there’s really no bloody excuse!! And something that will encourage me to take more photos…
5. TAKE CARE OF YOUR FACE. Sounds a bit of a weird one, right? And I think probs diet and exercise will help this one. BUT I am a NIGHTMARE for sleeping with make up on. I need to learn to cleanse, tone and moisturise my face. That’s right. I’m starting this one from tonight! Yus, I am!
That’s all I can think of so far. But five’s a good start, right? Most people only have the one.